Saturday, July 14, 2012

Brewing Vessels Matter->->-> o_O What?!

About a year or two ago now, I bought a pu-erh at Uwajimaya. It was on sale and they'd advertized it well. I went home to try it and was rewarded with the worst tea of my life. I tried brewing it several different ways with different temperatures and steeping times- but to no avail. It was as if I'd just brought in a fish factory to my house. Worst pu-erh experience of my life. It's a miracle I ever bought another, especially from Uwajimaya. Hahaha.

Speed forward to last week, I went and made my recent favorite in one of the glass Teavana tea tumblers so that I could have it with me on the go on my way to work. The tea is super dark and thick, just how I like it, and my coworker spots it. I have just taken my first sip and have noticed that it doesn't taste nearly as good as normal. I attribute this to maybe not having used enough leaves, but really, I put in a ton. But my coworker asks if she can smell it and I agree. I quickly tell her though, that it doesn't normally smell like this (because it doesn't) and have to make an excuse for the poor aroma. Days later and this memory still bothers me. I couldn't understand how my favorite pu-erh could have smelled so unpleasantly fishy. Then I made gyokuro in it. Miracle above all horrible miracles, even my gyokuro smelled bad!!! I was in absolute shock. That was just so ridiculous. This should not have been happening! This couldn't be happening! But it was!

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that there had to be a connection between these two incidents and that original Uwajimaya crap pu-erh. Then it dawned on me. The tumbler. At the time of that original pu-erh, I didn't actually own a real gaiwan or even a real tea pot. I brewed all of my teas in my little glass Teavana tumbler. Most of them were just fine, but they had always seemed a bit sweeter on the bad side of sweet when coming from there. I thought it was the metal mesh, and have avidly avoided using anything metal in my brewing pots for a long time, but now I don't think it was actually that.

I've been reading up on wine and alcohol culture lately (which always confuses me anyways since I don't actually drink at all), but if any of you drink wine in particular, I'm sure you'll know that the air and how the drink is poured is actually very important to the taste. This is true of making cocktails as well. There is a reason why people can get degrees in being a sommelier or bartender. Mixing and pouring and making drinks brewed from plants are actually very complex chemical processes. So it could make sense that the brewing vessel actually makes a difference in the taste of the drink, in the taste of my tea.

I bash Teavana enough as it is, so I will say here that I do not think this is anything that's out of the way their fault. I'm pretty sure there are many other companies with straight tall glass cylindrical tea brewing tumblers. Also, as I've mentioned before, some teas taste just fine in one of them. But they're never that special kind of magical that I get with brewing them other ways.

Because of how much control you have, I think I like brewing in a gaiwan best. There are however, different shaped gaiwans. I'd known before that this was for different types of tea, but I'd always brushed that off as being way too nit-picky. I think now though that there probably is a lot more truth to those sort of thing than I thought before which only goes to show again that it's better to respect the words of your elders and give them more trust than doubt. I'd talk about the different shapes of gaiwans and teapots and what those are better suited for, but I'll just save that for another post another day. Or just put tidibits of that in as I go along like usual.

By the way, that I've brought out this tea (which now tastes MUCH BETTER brewed in a gaiwan) also means that I've brought out the other shu pu-erhs that I'd had in storage for the school year and... MOON WHITE.

I have it next to me right now and I keep opening the jar I have it in to smell it happily. I might even write a poem about this tea in my next post. Tea and poems go together, right? Or maybe I should just post a music video I find appropriate and let a pro do the mushy stuff for me. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment