Saturday, April 6, 2013

To The Future

It seems that my name is really getting passed around. It makes me very happy, because then I don't have to put up posters. I was asked the other day to do tea for a hall event, which I've just come back from, and tomorrow I'll be doing tea for a general student body event! It was a lot of fun. It was a henna event so naturally that meant masala chai with milk and sugar. Yummy!

I find it really funny though that everyone keeps saying I know so much about tea, and then asking me about tisanes. I don't know almost anything about most tisanes! For one, there are just basically too many. I know a little about catnip, ginko, and ginger, but that's seriously the limit of my decent tisane knowledge. I don't know what most of them taste like, I don't know how to make each of them to best bring out their flavors (not all tisanes like boiling water for five minutes!), I don't know what to look for in terms of sourcing them, I don't know the latin names of them, I don't know where they all come from, I don't even usually know which of them are from trees or shrubs or grasses! There are so many more tisanes than there are teas, and that's saying something considering how many teas there are! So I feel really bad when people say, "So! Tell me about this tea!" and I have to smile and say, "Well, this is actually a red rooibos base spice blend tisane!" when I know they're expecting me to get as passionate about it as I do with teas. Maybe I really should change the tea club to the "Classic Pure Straight No Flowers Or Spices Real True Tea Club". Hahaha.

So I have some studying to do before tomorrow night for the event (never a bad thing to do in the first place). And I'm bringing a real tea so that I can actually gush and go on and on about something that I know about.

My club holds meetings about twice a week and there are about 2-3 people who come to every meeting and several others who come either once a week or once every two weeks or so. And then getting invited to events also makes me very happy. This semester's goal has been to get people to attend, next semester's goal will be to legitimately establish ourselves as a club to get funding and to better organize special events such as tastings and educational workshops. Of course, the ultimate goal all the time is just to enjoy the pleasure of drinking a lot of good tea.

Another very awesome thing happening next year is that I've been accepted into a research lab here where I'll be able to do my own research on tea! My project isn't finalized yet, but I have a general idea about what I'm going to do and we'll just have to see how it goes. Woo! Super excited!! This also reminds me that I should post another review of an article or two here, since I did say that I wanted to do a lot of these for this blog.

Last of all, my very dear grandmother just passed away a week ago today. My mom and I lived with her for a year or two when I was around 5 years old and I would stay at my grandparent's house for a week or so at a time every summer since I was around 14. She called me about every other week and sent me a care package every month since coming to college. We were very close. She was so healthy and doing so well that it was a huge shock when my mom told me she was doing terribly in the hospital all of a sudden. I hurriedly bought a ticket to home and went to see her before she passed away. It's been a very rough week, I still have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to call her this week or anymore in the future, but I have no regrets when it came to my grandma and know that she loved me and that she knew I loved her, so at least there's that. Time keeps passing on anyways, so I figure I'd just better appreciate those around me that are alive while I have the pleasure of being around them. My grandfather already passed away two years prior, so at least they're not apart anymore. 

Rest in peace, Grandma and Grandpa. I love you two very much and will do my best to take care of your daughter, my mother, and my little brothers like you always told me to. Sleep well and don't let the bed bugs bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment