Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tea and Language

I am finally starting a tea club at Mount Holyoke! This makes me really happy because then I'll be able to share my love of tea with even more people and help spread much better tea knowledge around instead of all that folklore unsubstantiated info that too many companies and people keep repeating. But really, I just hope to inspire more people to enjoy all the wonders of tea like I do.

One of the things I want this club to do is be involved with the tea community outside of our college. I only really know of one good tea shop in the area, but I wondered a bit about whether the extremely large cities on this coast offered any festivals like Seattle does. So to my absolute joy, I found the Coffee and Tea Festival! It has two dates and two locations, the soonest is in Atlantic City and is from November 3rd to 4th this year. Atlantic City is really far away from Mount Holyoke though, not to mention November is really soon, so I looked at the other location; New York City!!! Woo! Not much has been planned for this one up on it's website yet, but it's not until March (and during our Spring break no less!!) so I have high hopes.

I think this will be really great because finally I'll be able to get more in touch with the tea community here on the East Coast. I love my tea stores over in the NW, but let's face it, shipping is a huge pain (especially for a college student). Not to mention that I am severely limited on where to tell people to try or buy tea over here. This also gives me an excuse to go to NYC (which I've been avoiding because of how people describe it here). Hahaha.

As for how tea has been going these first three weeks at school anyways, it's been great! I've had a ton of tea drinking sessions with old friends and new friends alike. It's made me really happy and I think I've changed several people's minds about tea.

The other day I was serving up some tea in the living room and one student told me that she didn't want a cup of tea because she'd already had some earlier that day. I've since realized that when I'm serving a specific tea, I never want to use the word "tea" again. If you're offering a ride in a Lamborghini to someone who has no idea what kind of car you drive, do you simply say, "Hey, do you want a ride in my car?" No! Referring to a Lamborghini like it's any other car is akin to referring to your child as if they're just a random person. I realized that this has become the same with Macs and other large brand name items like Coke and Skittles. They make you think there is absolutely no replacement for them, even though a Mac is in it's general essence simply a computer, Coke is a soda, and Skittles are just candy. This is how I want to make it with my teas. So from henceforth, I will never refer to a tea I'm drinking or offering as "tea", but exactly what it is. On that evening I was serving up Moon White pu-erh from New Century Tea Gallery. When that student saw how much the others were enjoying the Moon White she decided to change her mind and ask for a cup too. It made me so happy!

I've noticed that just saying "tea" has also created other problems. The other night I posted something about having found a new scientific collection of reviews and research articles on Camellia sinensis and tea and my friend commented that he was shocked that tea was so complicated when he couldn't even decide if he liked green or black tea better. From this I realized that people even clump all greens and blacks etc together! Some of them are fairly similar to each other, and there are minor differences when it comes to a specific type just from a different farm or microclimate (in general, such as *the* Da Hong Pao vs. Da Hong Paos from grafts grown on different farms etc), but no one can really deny the difference between something such as Dragonwell and Sencha. Besides not even being from the same country, they taste completely different! In general, I do like green teas and will say that and clump them all together like that, but I don't think my friend even realized that there were multiple kinds of green tea. Most people's jaws drop when I tell them all kinds of tea (except for tisanes!!!) are from the same plant.

These are fairly big problems, but I think it's essential that we work harder to change how we speak about tea in order to influence how others see it so that more people will be able to understand how many wonders tea has to offer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment