Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Research tidbits! Yay!

I've told you time and time again that I swore I was going to do some "reviews" and summaries of some scientific articles, but just haven't gotten around to it. UNTIL NOW!

Quick update on my tea research obsession: I have 43 research papers on tea in my new tea folder. I've switched over to using gmail a lot more recently, and have found that I also really like using their storage space that sorts with folders and all those fun things and is really easy to upload and even work with online directly. All of these articles have to do with a lot of different things. Many have to do with caffeine, but honestly that's pretty much been said and done.

A lot of the new research coming out has to do with genetically analyzing the differences between cultivars, understanding what genes do what, figure out better compound isolation techniques, understanding compound synthesis and metabolism both in the live plant and in the final production of the different kinds of tea, and a lot about the anti-cancer and anti-viral properties of different kinds of tea. There is a lot I'd like to write about many of these, but some of them I need to do a lot more digging in to before I can ensure that I can convey everything about it with pretty much perfect accuracy.


Now to the tidbits~!
1) EGCG and all those catechins are catalyzed into becoming theaflavins and thearubigins in fermentation! 
2) Salt in the soil increases L-theanine in the leaves!
3) Puerh tea can help fight HIV!
4) You have to consume something like 10,000mg/kg worth of black pu-erh tea before any sort of toxicity appears. (Essentially something like several entire puerh bricks)

And next time I'm going to explore the effects of decaffeinating tea by hot water treatment on taste, based on the results from "Decaffeination of fresh green tea leaf (Camellia sinensis) by hot water treatment" by Liang et al., 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment