Monday, October 15, 2012

There is such a thing as too many leaves in a pot...

I didn't think it was possible, but I managed to put in too much pu-erh into too little water. This has caused my tea to be so ridiculously thick that it's almost syrupy! Normally I like this, but this is very thick even for me. When I swirl it around it leaves trails that are noticeable from a distance around the inside of my cup. My solution? You betcha I'm diluting it as I pour it. Hahaha. But oh my goodness, this is just too much tea for one person. I wish I'd made this for a group of people. I suppose this is a good lesson about keeping up with dishes for the poor college student.

To be more truthful though, this is a good lesson about utilizing my resources properly. As I keep reminding you all, I'm a poor college student (much more so now that I finally bought my ticket to Japan for winter break!!!!), and therefore I cannot buy as much tea or teaware as I'd love to. I suppose I could convert this blog into a tea reviewing one, but I find all the background stories around tea (the research and just sharing it with people) to be a more interesting writing topic to me. Instead, I have to be very meticulous in not only what I buy, but also in how I consume. There are a few ways I could do this. Drinking less often is out of the question for me. I end up getting dehydrated when I'm too busy to drink tea for a few days, not to mention I enjoy being happy. It's not very convenient for me to put in less tea leaves when I'm making a brew too, because especially for my cooked pu-erhs, I enjoy them thick. However! I have come to the realization that I have one more option. Use a smaller gaiwan! Here is a picture of all of my tea brewing vessels:

 Normally I use either my brown gaiwan or my small yixing in the back. The yixing is actually a bit bigger than the gaiwan, but still not big enough to overfill my fairness pitcher. I use it for my coooked pu-erhs, and when I finally get around to prepping the flat gaiwan I will decide what I'm going to use it for. All of those are good for sharing with about 6-8people maximum. 

I love my beautiful kyusu. But it's big! Hahaha. It's pretty difficult to make anything in it to drink for just myself. I either do pu-erhs that I can just leave in indefinitely or green teas in cold water so that I don't have to worry about over brewing. I heard I could do this with lightly oxidized oolongs too, so when I open up this one I'm currently keeping safe and sealed I'll try that out.

Finally, draw your eyes to the little cute white gaiwan with plum blossoms in the front. I think I have pictures of it up from before, but anyways, this was my first gaiwan! I bought it in a very nice cute little travel set that I used extensively last year since it included a very nice ceramic tea tray. I haven't used it very much this year though, because finally I bought all of the other tea ware you see (except the black and red yixing in the back which I had before), but I've come to the conclusion that it would be best for me to use this one when I'm making tea for myself. 

In the U.S., we are constantly bombarded with "BIGGER IS BETTER!" I think this trend is going away now, but as this was the theme of my childhood it has definitely left it's subconscious impact. When I bought the plum blossom gaiwan set and the previous yixing teapot, I got their small size for the sake of traveling. In fact, I thought that they would be too small for even one person. No no no! From now on I will be using my plum blossom gaiwan when serving myself. It really should make enough for me, especially considering how many times I get brews out of my leaves. I need to get away from this American "big=good" ideology and more into thinking on the smaller side and keeping everything in moderation. 

By using a smaller gaiwan I use less leaves, am more mindful of how much I drink, and will hopefully avoid wasting good tea in the future like I did with making an entire thick pot of a delicious pu-erh in that large kyusu. Mindfulness and moderation are wonderful principals to live by. Let's hope they help me and my wallet along my college journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment