Thursday, July 11, 2013

My Opinion on Lifting Weights While Drinking Tea

A few days ago I came across a newbie to tea on Reddit's r/tea who was looking at purchasing a cast iron pot and wanted to know if we liked the one they were looking at as an intro pot for someone on a budget. I've seen quite a few posts on this subreddit about getting cast irons as a newbie to tea and know that Teavana does its absolute best to encourage all customers to get cast iron pots. I think this is a terrible idea. Here's my entire response which I spent so much time on I decided to use here as well:
"Don't get cast iron as an intro pot, especially if you're on a budget. You might like it for the idea that it won't break, but they're so inconvenient you'll never want to make tea with it. Here is a list of my complaints about cast iron teapots:

  1. You'll have to boil your water twice if you're using a small electric kettle because you have to use the hot water to heat up the pot and cups once, and then to actually make your tea.
  2. They're extremely heavy. Heavy to the point where it makes it very hard to pour and you'll be spilling almost always. Not to mention it dents everything because one cannot simply put down a cast iron teapot.
  3. Rust. Rust. Rust. Rust. If you use it. It will rust. Especially if you're not a consistently quick drinker since I'm assuming you'll use this as your personal pot. I feel like cast irons are for people who actually put in a LOT of effort into their tea drinking and drink with a lot of people. I drink a LOT of tea. I drink tea all the time. However, just right now I've got a pot of tea from 2 hours ago sitting on my table waiting to be drunk (its not a very good tea...). If that was a cast iron pot I would have just pointlessly shortened that pot's life. Its ceramic, so it's fine. And even if you do drink out of it rather quickly, you'll still need to actually go in and dry it. You can't let it air dry because that'll also shorten its life. And you might be thinking, "well, it'll take a long time to rust so it'll be okay", but my ceramic pot will never rust, and it was much, much cheaper than any non-leaded cast iron will ever be.
  4. Did I mention how heavy they are? I'm actually really strong. I just don't like lifting weights when making tea.
  5. And I forgot to mention, but the handle gets ridiculously hot too.
  6. Cast iron pots, or tetsubin as they're called, are Japanese. But in traditional Japan, they're not even for making tea. I have lived in Japan before. I have seen tea ceremonies. I have drunk tea many times there. I basically did my own personal tea tour of the country this last winter. I have never seen anyone in Japan use one for making tea. Its for boiling hot water over a fire pit. (Which I have seen in modern homes, my friend's place had one built into the dining table! It was awesome, but even they used a western stainless steel kettle on it, because tetsubin are very troublesome.)"

I am not actually against using tetsubin for tea simply because that's not what they're most convenient for. I don't have a huge thing against repurposing items. But even the glazed ones which are better (I say reluctantly) for making tea in can still rust because every older one I've seen has had cracked glaze with chunks missing (revealing rusted spots). Some people are diligent about taking care of their tetsubin, are big workout enthusiasts, and maybe they've burned out the nerves in their hands from handling too hot of things (I know a few people like this), but I just don't think that this should be someone's first tea pot. They're practically worse than yixing with how much attention you have to pay to them. Its really not too much work at all, but its more than most people are willing to put into their tea making, and therefore those kind of people should use something that won't be ruined by their tea making style which would make it harder for them to enjoy tea. Being able to make delicious tea is the true purpose of a teapot after all. What good is it if it can't do that? If there's something I don't like, its making something that can be used into an unused and lifeless decoration.

1 comment: